Administration of Roseberry House and its Restoration
In the early 1970’s it became evident that the existence of the Roseberry House (called the Guess House at the time) was in jeopardy. PAHS officially incorporated on June 6, 1973 as a 501(C))3 not-for-profit tax-exempt charitable organization. The Society was instrumental in keeping the historic c. 1780 house from being demolished. An agreement with the town and the school board allowed the Society to occupy the building until expenses incurred by continual vandalism caused strife and conflict within the organization. In 1976 PAHS gave up control of the house.
Over the next 35 years the Society worked on several small projects along with the much-needed repairs made to the Soldier’s and Sailor’s Monument at Shappell Park in Phillipsburg. In 2009, Scott Curzi, a local resident, Lawyer and history buff, along with his like-minded companion Frank Greenagel investigated the Roseberry House and found it in deplorable condition. They gained the support of PAHS and under a new lease with the Town of Phillipsburg, the Society became the steward of the house and are in control of its operation and restoration. With renewed interest and help from the community, and with grants from Warren County Municipal Conservancy Charitable Trust Fund, New Jersey State Historic Trust Fund and the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution the society has facilitated major restorations to the exterior of the house, along with the complete interior reconstruction of the c. 1815 kitchen addition. The Society is now focused on projects to install heating for the planned use of the walk-in basement and 1st floor, restoration of the 1st floor as well as ADA compliant bathroom and building access.